The Many Benefits of De-Jonesing (aka De-Cluttering) Your Home
The benefits you will experience once you learn how de-clutter your home are numerous:
- You spend less time cleaning (or having cleaned) because areas are easy to navigate as there is not a bunch of stuff to work around, clean around, or dust around.
- Your home just looks way nicer.
- Because you have less items and items that you do have are put in their appropriate places, you spend less time looking for things (you will never get back that 30 minutes you spent looking for your keys).
- You will have the room and space to start and finish projects. Just think of how much you may want to start writing that book you always wanted to write, or read that book you always wanted to read, when you have a nice, clean space in which to start.
- You will value the things that you do have more.
- You will end up saving money, because when you go through all your clutter and sell it, organize it, or donate it, you will really think about and apply your intended purchases to the life you are designing. You will ask: Do I love it? Do I need it? Will I use it?
- Cleaning up clutter opens your living space as it leaves room for you to breathe and to be who you are rather than having the clutter of your life distract you.
- The less time you spend amassing things, shopping for them, paying for them, and housing them, the more time you have to be and grow your dream life and your true purpose.
- After you have learnedhow to declutter your home, the more you will see how your things are not who you are and your attachment to them will lessen.
- When you eliminate clutter you will also improve your health. Not only will airborne bacteria and dust get less of a chance to flourish but your stress levels will reduce. Some believe (as I do) that a disorganized, untidy, clutter-filled home is not only a symptom of stress but also a source of stress. Clutter-filled homes cause the hormone cortisol to secrete in your brain resulting in stress. Another good reason to de-clutter.
- Decluttering your home is the first step when you apply the principles of feng shui to your home and to your life. Feng shui allows energy to flow seamlessly and effortlessly in your life.
- The biggest reason to eliminate clutter is because it will open up your mind and your life to greater possibilities of experience. You can start right away designing your dream life rather than be driven to distraction by clutter.
Written by Val Hemminger, the nonconforming professional
Return from the benefits of de-cluttering